It is commonly found in South African schools that, whilst the first three core areas identified above are more common to most educators, the last three tend to be given less attention and training support.
This imbalance contributes to an environment where educators feel insecure, ineffective and unfulfilled.
The Circles of Empowerment for Academic Leadership training programme has been explicitly designed to “grow” these competencies from the “leadership centre” (Headmaster and Deputy Headmaster) of the school, to the immediate leadership team (Heads of Departments, business managers) to the staff (subject teachers) and ultimately aims to include and empower school leavers to enter the advanced academic and business world with improved communication and leadership skills.
WHY ARE COMMUNICATION AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS SO IMPORTANT?
Whilst schools are designed to promote and support academic achievement, it has been proven that IQ and academic skills are limited in their ability to develop strong leaders. It is emotional intelligence that plays a vital role in the fields of effective communication and leadership.
Mind Action Mentors is a unique organisation in that it has grown alongside the South African educators through the past 16 years, and has developed and adapted communication and leadership training material specifically suited and relevant to the enhancement of Emotional Intelligence and leadership skills.
“The art of communication is the language of leadership.” James Humes
The Circles of Empowerment for Academic Leadership training programme is presented in two stages.
STAGE ONE: SHOW UP STRONG
When showing up in a leadership team, who are we showing up as?
This course covers the essential basics of self-awareness: behavioural styles recognition and personal strengths appreciation.
The teaching provides an understanding of personal wiring and application of this knowledge within a team environment.
The results of the course include improved personal performance, successful team alignment and great results on school’s leadership projects where individual efforts combine in an optimum fashion. The training course is interactive, non threatening and fun!
The course ultimately aims to increase the participant’s communication skills and ability to function effectively within a team environment.
Stage One requires the following investment from schools and participants:
- Completion of pre-work. This includes the completion of two personal response forms. The first one takes 12 minutes to complete and the second one takes 45 minutes to complete. Both are completed online. The results from the response sheets are presented in the form of a 23 page report which are utilised during the seminar along with a book which each participant keeps for future reference.
- Attendance of a four hour seminar to acquire the material content and its application to the appropriate team dynamic and related school projects.
- The cost per delegate for The Circles of Empowerment – Stage One training seminar is R1200.00.
Upon completion of Stage One, each participant receives a certificate verifying participation and skills acquired on the course.
It is recommended that Stage Two is attended within twelve months of Stage One; this is optional and can be discussed at the conclusion of Stage One.
STAGE TWO: DRAMA QUEENS, RAGING BULLS, SUBMISSIVE SPANIELS, PETTY PICKERS. WHERE DO THEY ALL COME FROM AND WHICH ONE AM I?
Stage Two is designed to build on the foundation developed in Stage One and guides the participants through the vital understanding of two behaviours of personality types:
- What happens when strengths are overused and how to raise personal awareness of these tendencies.
- The “default” style of each personality type in a conflict situation and how to minimise and resolve conflict as it arises.
Stage Two requires the following investment from schools and participants:
- There is no pre-work required for Stage Two if the candidates have completed Stage One
- Attendance of a four hour seminar to acquire the material content, and to complete case studies and group exercises to enhance practical knowledge and application of the advanced skills covered.
- The cost per delegate for The Circles of Empowerment Stage Two is R600.00.